Monday, April 15, 2013

The ethical implication of Community Service


•                Did you do good? What good?
•                How do you determine whether you did good or not?
•                What does sustainability have to do with it?
•                                  Was your service project sustainable?
•                What could you do differently in the future? 
What is you biggest critique of the service project? 

I would like choose community service from service activities from the past two years. In my opinion, I did very well with this community service activity due to several reasons. Firstly, during community service, we had to go place such as Pinsao elementary where there are small kids who need to eat a lot. When i visited Pinsao elementary school for the first time, it was so difficult to feed small kids and be friends with them. But, after several meetings, everything became easy and I understand why community service is important that I felt it was best choice I've made. Frankly, during first meeting, I thought "Why am I joining this club?", "It's so boring to join community service.", but like stated above, after several meeting, my mind changed and i guess my mind changed by doing the right thing not just doing something to do for CAS. Furthermore, I didn't like to feel that doing community service just for CAS that this made me serious with community service activity. 

I strongly think sustainability have to do with Community Service. This is because, i was able to have opportunity to join Medical Dental Mission due to Community Service. This year, I worked in registration area and I learned that there are a lot of patient coming from all around Baguio city. This surprised me that I thought most of patients were from rural areas but there were patients from Lokan Road, where I lived more than 3 years and I wasn't able to see any poor people. So, this is why sustainability is important for Community Service but Community Service also need help with financials. This is because, there are only few people who are donating the money and Community service use a lot of money to buy things such as Diaper for Orphanage. 

My Service project was sustainable. This is because, first, every member was willing to donated money at least 500 peso which is huge amount of money for students. Furthermore, with this donated money, we used to buy drinks and sold them in higher price during UN day which made our fund bigger. Secondly, I also donated 2500 peso to Community Service, and i guess there are more people such as teachers (For example, Ms. Lena, and Mr. Bob) also donated money too. Lastly, there are a lot of students who want to join community service for CAS and I know that they will also donated money when they go places such as orphanage. 

If i could stay and do community service in the future, I would like to donate more money and cook food with help of dinning hall. This is because, during feeding program, we just donated money to school and they prepared their own food and we found out that they have used a lot of seasoning ingredient or in Korea we often call them as "MSG" and I heard it is better just not to eat than eat foods with seasoning ingredient. Furthermore, since its mal-nutrient Children, we need to give food that is healthy!

There are a lot of critique of this service project. First, the date of community service is bad. Monday is a day which most people want to take rest which made some students to give unreasonable reason or lie in order to take a nap. Due to this situation, sometimes there aren't a lot of volunteers. Furthermore, monday is sports seasons and a lot of volunteers are joining in sports team and they have to skip community service. Secondly, it has problem with money. Like mentioned above, it has serious problem with money. Since there aren't people donating a lot of money, it has limited dates or meetings to travel. This is because, our group buy things such as diaper to orphanage but since diaper cost too much, it takes more than 2 weeks to travel one. Thirdly, since Baguio is small city, we have limited place to go. For example, we weren't able to travel places since there were limited place to go. Furthermore we wanted bigger things to help but since we lack some money, we weren't able to do it. Thus, I strongly suggesting school to help Community Service financially!

No comments:

Post a Comment